Monday, April 25, 2016

Untitled #2

Dahlgren Chapel in 1952, from the University Archives
On Friday night, Annemarie Hodge died. Mrs. Hodge was my kindergarten teacher, an incredibly kind and caring woman. In a parent-teacher meeting, instead of calling me bossy she said I had "a tendency to overuse [my] leadership abilities." She pronounced my name differently, in a way that made five-year-old me feel fancy. She was patient and supportive, even when I was poorly behaved (which happened often at five years old). After leaving her class, she always greeted me with a big smile. I felt painfully awkward and out of place as a child, and Mrs. Hodge always made me feel welcome and important. I don't think I was particularly special in that regard; she treated everyone like they were important and special. She taught many children, including special needs students. Mrs. Hodge had two young sons and a husband who works at the Johns Creek Police Department. It's hard for me to explain why her death is so upsetting to me. I haven't seen her in at least two years, possibly more. Her role in my life largely ended fourteen years ago. Still, her influence was incredibly important in my early development. I wasn't bossy, I was just learning when to be a leader and when to take a step back. I wasn't a nuisance or a bad kid, I just needed some patience and kind but firm direction. I don't think it's fair that Mrs. Hodge died. Of all the people in the world, she was one of the better ones. She helped so many people, me included. She's left behind two sons and a husband, among other family members, and there are so many people that she could have helped.

Recently I was in conversation with Father Greg Schenden and Reverend Bryant Oskvig, the University's Catholic and Protestant Chaplains, respectively, and both men agreed that they prefer to officiate funerals over weddings. When I asked why, Father Greg explained, "At funerals, people come searching for meaning." Weddings, they said, are much more perfunctory, but at funerals, their services are fully utilized. In the face of death, we all search for meaning.

Yesterday the Georgetown student body received an email from the Vice President of Student Affairs, titled "Sad News." A junior from the Business School died, the second Georgetown student to pass away this semester. The first was a freshman from the School of Foreign Service over Easter Break. We're all searching for meaning.

In Other News

On a happier note, I have some updates on my life. This week is the final week of classes of my freshman year. Next Monday is the last day of classes, and Tuesday through Thursday are study days. Finals begin Friday and last until May 14th. God willing, I will be back in Georgia by May 15th. I have approximately eight more assignments and/or exams until it's time to pack up my dorm room.

Last Friday I met with the director of the Justice and Peace Studies (JUPS) program, and declared my double major! Introducing Hannah Q Wingett, linguistics and JUPS double major at Georgetown University. Tentatively my JUPS concentration is Religion/Catholicism & Peace/Social Justice. The title will be formalized later in my Georgetown career.

Next year I might be leading a small faith group through Campus Ministry, possibly on "Suffering & Healing." I'm hoping to continue my involvement in the organizations I currently support, so next year will be quite the challenge with my preexisting commitments, my RA position, and leading a small group. Prayers and support, as always, are greatly appreciated.

I hope you all have a wonderful day, readers. Remember to appreciate the moment you're in. In the words of C.S. Lewis, "The humans live in time but [God] destines them to eternity. He therefore, I believe, wants them to attend chiefly to two things, to eternity itself, and to that point of time with they call the Present. For the Present is the point at which time touches eternity. Of the present moment, and of it only, humans have an experience analogous to the experience which [God] has of reality as a whole; in it alone freedom and actuality are offered them." Be well.

1 comment: