Saturday, April 16, 2016

One Year Later

Dahlgren Chapel & Healy Hall, March 28, 2016

One year ago today, I filled out some paperwork, paid $900, and thus officially committed to Georgetown. I hoped to get a room in New South, major in linguistics, and prepare myself for a career in international diplomacy. I had a house in Georgia, two cats, and no idea how dramatically my life was about to change. Right now I sit in room 301 of Village C West, a linguistics and justice & peace studies double major with a potential minor in Spanish. I have no cats, and my house in Georgia will be sold in the next three months. I've seen the Pope, met Vice President Joe Biden, and sat fifteen feet in front of presidential candidate Bernie Sanders. I've learned more than I knew could be learned in just one year. I've been introduced to so much music.

Today I woke up late and put on a sundress. I had scrambled eggs and cinnamon rolls and soy milk, and then I ran a few errands. Afterwards, I did a few readings before getting dinner with my lovely friend Julia, and then we went for a short walk that ended in Dahlgren Chapel. We said hey to Jesus, and then parted ways to do work.

A year and four days ago, I was still grappling with the overwhelming prospect of student loan debt. A year ago, I took a big chance, and decided that Georgetown would be worth it. I was right. Despite my mental illness, which still plagues me and occasionally makes me more miserable than I want to admit where my grandma is going to see it, I'm happier here at Georgetown than I could have been at any other university. I've learned so much about life, about people, and about the world. Georgetown fosters communication—I've learned to listen here better than ever before. I, thankfully, can read at a much faster rate than I could in high school. My mind is being opened to so many ideas, and my heart has grown so much.

In the end, this is all to say, I'm grateful. I'm grateful I listened to my instincts telling me I wouldn't be happy at UGA, even though UGA would have been a much smarter financial move. I'm grateful my parents trusted me when I made my decision. I'm grateful that Georgetown gave me as much aid as they did, and that Wells Fargo stepped in to supply the remaining balance. I'm grateful for every faculty & staff member at Georgetown, who form the atmosphere and philosophy of the university. I'm grateful for the prospect of change. I'm grateful I survived the transition to college. I'm grateful my family could visit me here in DC. Thank you all for reading and for supporting me. I appreciate you all very much. Be well, and trust your instincts, which are the Holy Spirit working through you.

No comments:

Post a Comment